Early Internship Journey at KMUTT: Diving into Geospatial Innovation, Climate Resilience, and New Cultural Horizons

My first week as an intern at the KMUTT Geospatial Engineering and Innovation Center (KGEO) has been an absolute whirlwind of eye-opening experiences, unexpected challenges, and incredible learning curves. Stepping into a new academic and professional environment in Thailand has tested my adaptability, but it has also opened doors to invaluable insights and connections. Here is a look back at how my first week unfolded.

Day 1: Navigating the ESG Symposium 2026

Date: September 1, 2026

My internship kicked off with a major plot twist: attending the ESG Symposium 2026 focused on climate change and water management. While I was ready to dive deep into the discussions, I quickly realized two things: the venue was a long, energy-draining commute from my dormitory, and (much to the surprise of myself, my friend, and my lecturer) the entire discussion was conducted in Thai.

Facing a massive language barrier, I had to think on my feet. I ended up using Microsoft Translator for real-time live translation of the speakers. While challenging, it turned out to be an exciting and fun way to learn. I gained deep insights into local perspectives on water management and flooding issues in Thailand. Even better, I had the opportunity to step up, give a short speech, and discuss disaster perspectives and conditions in Indonesia, particularly Bali, with the group moderator. Beyond the technical knowledge, I picked up some basic Thai phrases and connected with major business owners. It was an exhausting first day, but an immensely rewarding one.

Day 2: First Official Day at KGEO KMUTT

Date: September 2, 2026

On my second day, I finally stepped into the KGEO office to meet my colleagues and mentor. Although my mentor was caught up in another important meeting, the welcome was unforgettable. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted with a warm "Selamat Datang at KGEO" by Pi Boy, setting the tone for how pleasant and friendly the team is.

Naturally, the language barrier surfaced again as we communicated, and it took some time to adjust my speaking tone and pace. However, conversations quickly felt more natural as the day progressed. For my tasks, I dove into Biogas Analysis from Mangrove Trees, spending the day reading academic papers and laying the groundwork for my research.

Day 3: GIS Class and Deepening Research

Date: September 3, 2026

Mid-week brought a structured session with my lecturer and mentor to map out my upcoming project milestones. I was also invited to join a GIS Class taught by my mentor, where I learned a great deal about both foundational concepts and practical applications.

In the afternoon, I continued exploring biomass data and started diving into flood analysis in Nakhon Pathom. Looking ahead, I prepared for another high-level forum scheduled for the following day at Chula.

Day 4: Water Resilience Forum 2026 at Chula

Date: September 4, 2026

My first week wrapped up with a trip to Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Engineering to attend the Water Resilience Forum 2026, accompanied by my friend and lecturer. We explored discussions surrounding water management systems and strategic approaches to building a sustainable water economy and enhancing water productivity in Thailand.

I learned fascinating concepts about transforming water management to be more profitable and sustainable, ensuring it protects communities rather than posing hazards. While the language barrier was present once again, translation apps made it easy to handle.

Looking Ahead

My first week at KMUTT has taught me that growth happens right outside your comfort zone, whether you are figuring out live translations in a symposium, adapting to a new country's infrastructure, or analyzing environmental data. For the upcoming week, I am excited to push further into developing an Early Warning System framework and analyzing satellite data related to flood patterns.

Stay tuned for more updates on my geospatial engineering journey in Thailand!

Comments